The mission of Brandon Literacy Council Inc. is to empower individuals by providing them with opportunities to improve their skills, which include adult literacy and adult learning center programming, thus allowing them to participate more fully in life.
Our vision is that residents of Brandon and area will have full, equal and immediate access to opportunities, which include adult literacy and adult learning center programming. This will aid in developing essential and life skill competencies necessary for improved health, education, employment, economic standing and full social engagement resulting in overall better quality of life for families and the community.
BRANDON LITERACY COUNCIL INC. (BLC) COVID-19 UPDATE:
April 13, 2020
Brandon Literacy Council Inc. is committed to serving our learners to the best of our ability during this time of unease. Teachers and instructors will continue to:
- Support learners through telephone or email
- Support goals as determined at intake
- Provide assignments, tests / exams
- Monitor and assess progress
- Assign a final grade for high school courses
In keeping with advice from the Chief Provincial Public Health Officer, all in-classroom / in-person learning will be suspended indefinitely for this school year. In-classroom programming will resume as soon as public health officials advise that it is safe to do so.
Although the BLC building is closed to in-classroom / in-person learning, our teachers and instructors will be implementing the following:
- Contacting and supporting learners by telephone or email
- Preparing work packages by:
- Scanning assignments and emailing to learners, or
- Preparing assignments for pick up at the BLC classroom
- Email completed assignments to his / her teacher or instructor
- Drop off completed assignments at the BLC classroom
Assignment Pick Up and Drop Off:
Learners will not be allowed inside the BLC building. The inside classroom door will be locked, but the outside door to the BLC building will be unlocked. There will be a cart in between the doors for learners to pick up / drop off assignments. Pick up / drop off times for assignments are between 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- The top shelf of the cart will have envelopes with assignments in them for learners to pick up
- The envelopes will have learners names on them and will be put into alphabetical order by last name
- The middle shelf is where learners will put their completed assignments
- Please remember to put your first and last name on your assignments as well as the date and which teacher / instructor it is for
- The cart will be sanitized every day
All in-person intake appointments are suspended until further notice. Beginning in May, intake appointments will be held using a format such as Skype or Messenger. All persons with intake appointments that were cancelled prior to our closure in March will be contacted at the end of April to reschedule.
Please contact 204-729-9964 or email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
If you are taking a high school course, please contact you high school teacher:
If you are in our literacy program, you may contact the following instructors:
Stay safe and take care!
BLC Employees and Board of Directors
IF YOU FEEL ILL, STAY HOME.
If your symptoms are characteristic of COVID-19, contact Health Links at 1-888-315-9257.
Below are some additional websites with significant information: