|Location:||Brandon Literacy Council Inc. 129 -12th Street Brandon MB|
|Remuneration:||$25 / hour for 35 hours per week|
|Reports to:||Executive Director and Education Director|
|Term of Position:||October 3, 2022 to June 30, 2023 – Subject to Funding|
Brandon Literacy Council Inc. (BLC) is a nonprofit charity that delivers adult education programs in downtown Brandon. BLC has both a literacy program and an adult learning centre and provides customized scheduling and individualized programming to all its learners. We are currently looking to hire a full-time certified teacher to teach high school English and humanities including Canadian Law and Psychology in addition to Stage 3 (literacy level) Writing. This is a term position in BLC’s Adult Learning Center (BLC ALC) program, however, there is opportunity for renewal based on performance and availability of funding for the next program year.
As a member of the BLC staff, you will be part of an easy-going, fun team that is dedicated to excellence in delivering adult education in Manitoba. You will work Monday to Friday in a relaxed and cooperative atmosphere with a semi-flexible schedule.
The right candidate will have all the following:
- Be a friendly, team-player, that is easy to get along with.
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Be adaptable to the evolution of programming and processes (we are always looking for ways to be better at what we do!)
- Be open minded and considerate of learners and where they are in life and optimistic for where they are going and be able to transition between learning levels which may include literacy upgrading and high school level programming
- Be creative, think outside the box, and be willing to contribute ideas
- Be a good communicator and willing to adjust your approach to communicate better with others
- Be technologically savvy enough to use the basic features of Word, Outlook, File Explorer, the Internet, and Basecamp
Duties of Position:
As a member of the BLC staff, you will be expected to adhere to BLC policies and procedures. In addition, the position of teacher is regulated by the Adult Learning Centers Act, the Adult Learning Centres – General Regulation, and professional conduct as directed through Manitoba Education. As a certified MB teacher, you will:
- Participate in the process of learner enrollment including the evaluation of assessment and the development of individualized learning plans
- Teach and evaluate course material for your assigned courses according to the outcomes of Manitoba Curriculum
- Maintain and report accurate student records including attendance, marks, and participation
- Develop materials/resources as needed to assist in teaching and delivering your assigned courses
- Maintain communication with adult learners including providing feedback, responding to questions, and scheduling appointments when necessary
- Maintain communication with BLC staff including the Education Director in order to ensure the delivery of the most appropriate programming for all learners
- Valid Manitoba Permanent Professional Teaching Certificate and a good working knowledge of how to implement the Manitoba Senior Years Curriculum to achieve learning outcomes
- Clear Child and Adult Abuse Registry Checks
- Clear Criminal Record Check
- Have a working knowledge and understanding of adult learning principles, including a Manitoba Standard for Adult Literacy Instructors: Level 1 or willingness to obtain credential
If you are looking for a career opportunity that allows you to be part of a fun-loving team of dedicated educators, please drop off your cover letter and resume in person at 129-12th St. Brandon, MB or email to email@example.com. Please include 3 job-related references that highlight your qualifications and skills. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for applying!