Here is the easy step-by-step process for registering at BLC:
- Fill out and return registration package to BLC
- Attend registration appointment (BLC will call you to set up this appointment). At this appointment an assessment plan will be made and you will be made aware of the assessments you will be given based on the programming you are interested in.
- Attend BLC within one month of registration appointment to complete assessments.
- BLC will contact you to set up a plan meeting once your assessments have been reviewed. At this meeting you will have an opportunity to set your goals and create a program timeline.
New learners are accepted into our program on a continuous basis. If you would like to attend our program, we can mail or email a registration package to you, or you can pick up a registration package at the school. You can also print the forms out below in the Registration Package and return them to the classroom.
The following four (4) Registration Forms will need to be completed and returned to the classroom:
- Learner Registration Form
- Learner Consent Form
- Learner Introductory Writing Piece
- Learner Demographic Form
Once we have your registration package, we will call you to set up an in-person registration appointment. Please bring original documentation (transcript, CLB level etc.) to your registration appointment.
Please note that due to our scheduled reporting periods, registration appointments will not be conducted during the months of January and June.
An assessment plan will be created for you at your registration appointment. When possible material will be provided to you to help you prepare for your assessments. Assessments are a necessary part of the registration process. They help us accurately place you in our programming. Assessments must be completed in the classroom. These assessments can be started the same day as your registration appointment, or you can start them on another day.
Please note that initial assessments must be completed within one (1) month of your registration appointment to continue in the program. If not, you will be required to re-register and begin this process again.
Below is information that you may find helpful to review before writing your assessments. Refreshing your skills prior to writing your assessments will not only increase your success but may also reduce the amount of time your programming takes. Please also note that the assessments you will be required to complete will depend on the courses that you are interested in taking and the discretion of the instructors.
High School Assessments
Math (Essential, Pre-Calculus, and Applied) – Coming Soon!
Chemistry – Coming Soon!
Physics – Coming Soon!
Learning plans are tailored to your needs and will help you to meet your goals. Your assessment results will determine if your learning plan meeting is with the Literacy Supervisor or Education Director. At the learning plan meeting, the Literacy Supervisor or Education Director will:
- Go over the results of your assessments
- Discuss your goals and together set realistic goals and outcomes
- Talk about your timeline (when you want to be done)
- Develop your learning plan
- Answer any questions you may have
Learning plans are created with input from both you and the Literacy Supervisor or Education Director. Learning plans will have short-term goals that will help you to know if you are on track to meet your long-term goals. Learning plans and goals are reviewed and revised regularly with your instructor and can be changed or adjusted whenever you both decide that it is appropriate.
Please note that as per BLC’s Learner Agreement, active participation is required in the program. Therefore, if you have had no contact with BLC for three (3) months, you will be required to re-register and begin this process again.