The mission of Brandon Literacy Council Inc. is to empower individuals by providing them with opportunities to improve their skills, which include adult literacy and adult learning center programming, thus allowing them to participate more fully in life.
Our vision is that residents of Brandon and area will have full, equal and immediate access to opportunities, which include adult literacy and adult learning center programming. This will aid in developing essential and life skill competencies necessary for improved health, education, employment, economic standing and full social engagement resulting in overall better quality of life for families and the community.
Mom’s Pantry 2021
BRANDON LITERACY COUNCIL INC. (BLC) COVID-19 UPDATE:
Brandon Literacy Council Inc. is committed to serving our learners to the best of our ability during this time of unease. Teachers and instructors will continue to:
- Support learners by telephone, email, and remotely
- Support goals as determined at intake
- Provide work packages (assignments)
- Monitor and assess progress
In keeping with advice from the Chief Provincial Public Health Officer, in-classroom / in-person learning will be limited.
Remote learning will be prioritized until September 7, 2021 (tentative), or as soon as public health officials advise that it is safe to do so.
During Remote Learning in-person learning is limited. Our teachers and instructors will continue to:
- Contact and support learners by telephone, email, or video conferencing (Microsoft Teams)
- Schedule appointments to meet with eligible learners for in-person learning for a maximum of one (1) hour per day.
- Prepare and correct assignments via:
- Scanning and sending work through email or Microsoft Teams
- Work Package Pick Up and Drop Off
Our operating hours during Remote Learning are:
|Monday to Friday||9:30 am to 5:30 pm|
- Before entry to the classroom, learners will be asked to sanitize their hands and have their temperature taken with a non-contact thermometer; learners must pass the COVID-19 Screening Tool.
- Learners will be provided assigned seating, therefore at times seating may be limited.
- There is a time limit of a maximum of one (1) hour in the classroom per day depending on assigned seating availability.
- Masks must be worn at all times in the classroom.
Work Package Pick Up and Drop Off
The outside door to the BLC building is unlocked during operating hours (see above for hours). The inside front door into the classroom is locked. A blue cart is located between the doors for learners to pick-up/drop-off work packages. The cart is disinfected regularly.
- The top shelf of the blue cart has work packages, arranged in alphabetical order by the learners’ last name, for learners to pick up. Learners will be contacted when work packages are ready to be picked up.
- The middle shelf is for learners to drop off work packages. Learners should put their first and last name on each assignment as well as the date and the name of their teacher/instructor.
IF YOU FEEL ILL, STAY HOME.
If your symptoms are characteristic of COVID-19, contact Health Links at 1-888-315-9257.
Below are some additional websites with significant information: