The mission of Brandon Literacy Council Inc. is to empower individuals by providing them with opportunities to improve their skills, which include adult literacy and adult learning center programming, thus allowing them to participate more fully in life.
Our vision is that residents of Brandon and area will have full, equal and immediate access to opportunities, which include adult literacy and adult learning center programming. This will aid in developing essential and life skill competencies necessary for improved health, education, employment, economic standing and full social engagement resulting in overall better quality of life for families and the community.
BRANDON LITERACY COUNCIL INC. (BLC) COVID-19 UPDATE:
Brandon Literacy Council Inc. is committed to serving our learners to the best of our ability during this time of unease. Teachers and instructors will continue to:
- Support learners by telephone, email, and remotely
- Support goals as determined at intake
- Provide work packages (assignments)
- Monitor and assess progress
In keeping with advice from the Chief Provincial Public Health Officer, all in-classroom / in-person learning will be suspended beginning May 12, 2021; remote learning will continue until September 2, 2021. In-classroom programming will resume September 7, 2021 (tentative), or as soon as public health officials advise that it is safe to do so.
Although the BLC building is closed to in-classroom / in-person learning, our teachers and instructors will be implementing the following:
- Contacting and supporting learners by telephone, email, or Microsoft Teams
- Preparing work packages by:
- Scanning assignments and sending them to learners via email or Microsoft Teams
- Preparing assignments for pick-up at the BLC classroom
- Send completed assignments to his / her teacher or instructor via email or Microsoft Teams
- Drop-off completed assignments at the BLC classroom
Assignment Pick-Up and Drop-Off:
Learners will not be allowed inside the BLC building. The inside classroom door will be locked, but the outside door to the BLC building will be unlocked. There will be a cart in between the doors for learners to pick-up / drop-off assignments. Pick-up / drop-off times for assignments are between 9:30 am and 5:30 pm Monday to Friday.
- The top shelf of the cart will have envelopes with assignments in them for learners to pick-up
- The envelopes will have learners names on them and will be put into alphabetical order by last name
- The middle shelf is where learners will put their completed assignments
- Please remember to put your first and last name on your assignments as well as the date and which teacher / instructor it is for
- The cart will be sanitized every day
IF YOU FEEL ILL, STAY HOME.
If your symptoms are characteristic of COVID-19, contact Health Links at 1-888-315-9257.
Below are some additional websites with significant information: